Monday, October 1, 2007

Power law and depression

I subscribe to the Economist, and this week's issue has an article about my two most favourite subjects: Power Law and clinical depression. I wrote an article on how dysfunctional techno-bureaucracies approach power law, and now we find that depressed nervous systems do the same thing.

This is important for people to read, since the worst thing about depression is that nobody will admit they have a problem. I take a couple of pills of Celexa a day, and it is a miracle drug! But, I know so many people who could use a dash of it, and they suffer. Eventually, things get so bad, they think of murder or suicide.

If you know somebody who has outbursts of either violence, stress, upset, or great creativity, get them to think about getting professional help. As we all know from collapsed bridges, and earthquakes, power law can be very destructive.

No comments: