Monday, May 30, 2011

Ontario Fruit Tree Spraying

Like everybody, I have some fruit trees in the backyard.  Ontario made my life miserable by banning all the horribly toxic stuff I used to pour on them.  So I had to use all my chemistry to mix up something as good.  Now, you know that I never put any of this stuff on my trees, since that would be illegal.  I am just coming up with a 'thought experiment' on what would be good, and has worked the last few years.

I just thought of 2 ingredients - one is a wettable powder organic fungicide.  I use Bordo Copper, since I figure that if I would accidently spray myself, it would prevent arthritis :).  The powder is great, since it has a wetting agent, and this is legal.  Next I put in some pyrethin, which is organic, but banned because my fruit trees may be on a swamp.  I would use Home Defence, if I actually sprayed it.  I put in about 60 ml for 3 l.  You have to spray every few weeks.

And here's something obvious, which I didn't know for years.  When the apples are about an inch in diameter, pinch out all the apples in a cluster, but the main, biggest one.  It really helps!

Update - May 31, 2018.  I have a new spray recipe.

No comments: