Monday, August 13, 2012

Tire Rim of Death

So, as we know, I was coming home from the cottage and the car was singing a funny tune.  I had no idea what it was, and hoped to get home before it blew.  On the 401 there was a big clump and I got to the shoulder safely, just in time to see my tire rim roll on before me.



I find this somewhat ironic, since this is equivalent to an M9 earthquake in the car world.  The rim fatigued perfectly to a massive blow-out.  Had a smaller cracked developed, the air would have gone out of the tire, and end of story.  But no, it had to be a perfect storm.  Ignoring the damage from the shattered lug nuts, you can see a perfect fatigue surface from the outside-in.  If I were in the States, I'd start a class action of 1, since nobody has ever seen this before.  I hope it doesn't become popular, since everybody can't bring the car in like I did.  The van just needed a new rim and tire.


No comments: