Thursday, May 23, 2013

Linux- Trying to get Google voice stuff working

Linux is savage on devices.  You don't want to have anything modern!  However, old devices should work fine, unless you like a modern kernel, and then things might not work for a while.  Devices are on the bottom of the list.

I was trying to get my Logitech usb webcam working again.  It used to work, until all the latest updates.  After a long search, I found that Alsa was misnaming it the front speakers.  Then I changed the Google chat settings, and it's all good for a hangout, which I generally never use.

But in comes the new vocal search.  With everything set up for the Google talk plugin, you would think it works.  But, no, they don't talk to each other.  Google Voice search chooses whatever it wants for a microphone, and you can't do anything about it.  This bothers a lot of people with multiple mikes, not just Linux.  No solution for this one yet.

No comments: