Thursday, July 18, 2013

M3.2 earthquake near Memphis

I can usually tell if there is an earthquake by looking at my blog stats.  This time there is a huge blip.



This is waaayy beyond my usual spam attacks.  Two things, either my Facebook lady finally published my article, or people are crazy about this Memphis earthquake.



I always like this type of earthquake since it is on the margins of the New Madrid zone.  We must always wonder if this zone can grow again.  There has been lots of activity on the central thrust zone, but it has never expanded.  This activity must be matched on the shear wings.  A good earthquake for Memphis would be an M6 that lengthens the lower shear wing.  But it's not going to happen tomorrow.

Update:  Looking at the 'Now' stats, it is definitely a spam attack gone bad.

No comments: