Monday, December 19, 2016

LInux - Reinstalling for the disk drives

When I last upgraded the motherboard, it had this fancy AHCI that Linux didn't yet support, so I used the IDE emulation.  Zoom to last few days when the computer has been driving me nuts by randomly seizing up.  I  tried to reinstall and it kept seizing on the install.  That's when I knew something was wrong.  I thought it was heat so I vacuum all the dust out, and that was a good thing, but it wasn't it.  Then I switched the disk drive in the bios to ahci and that was it.  Obviously, the old has to be thrown out.  :)  Now I've got to go through all the crap about a new installation.

**oh pooh.  It's the new kde5.  The bug came back again when I upgraded to 'testing'.  I'm stuck on an old kernel and old kde for a while.  You always have to reinstall to go back.

*upgrading my kernel now.  I hate living in the 'stone age'.  I'll wait a week before upgrading to 'testing'.  It did give me all sorts of messages, and next time I'll read them.  :)

**all fixed, the order of things is important, and I don't know what I did.  :)

***not good, not good.  My old processors can't handle new graphics.  Time for new computer guts.

No comments: