Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Linux - Programming the Logitech Harmony 650 Universal Remote

This remote is really cheap, and does everything you want.  I have 3 devices I need to control, and it does up to 6.  As usual, it only offers Windows programs to fix it up.  However, I found that you can use Virtualbox to do everything.  Just download one of those free MS virtual machines, I used my favourite ie11 and win 8.1. 

VB is a bit miserable to get the usb working.  Add your user to the group vboxusers, and make sure there is an empty line at the end of /etc/group.  You then have access to the remote when you plug it in the usb. 

It was great for the established brands, but my no-name super cheap Android tv box had problems.  Just pick OTT tv box, mxq pro, and 'learn' the commands from your dedicated remote.  The whole thing was an afternoon, but now everything works. 


No comments: