Saturday, January 6, 2018

Linux - Patch your kernel and slow things down - Spectre and Meltdown

I didn't notice a slowdown when I upgraded, but it says here that things slow down.

Linux kernel issues

Since Javascript can blast right through everything, I also secured Chrome.

Chrome Site isolation

I also have an AMD system, and they say that they are secure, but these Linux people didn't think so.

ps.  with more reading, I find this is a very difficult exploit but Javascript can go right through Linux.  Keep up the patches, and most of us will have to rely on Google's continuous check of malicious sites.  In the end, I don't think this will be big for Linux because of the tremendous variation that a trojan has to contend with.  More of an issue with standard mswin and Intel.

No comments: